Labor Day

Happy Labor Day, everyone!

I realize that the holiday being celebrated has nothing to do with the act of giving birth, but I can’t help but remember what my personal labor day was like. Are you thinking the same thing? (Please, someone, agree with me so that I don’t feel so silly!)

This is the story of my personal labor day – which also happens to be the best day of my entire life. My water broke on February 4, 2009 at around 6:30 am. My husband had already left for work, so I had to call him to come home. There was no way I was going to the hospital alone! I got into the shower to relax my nerves a bit before we headed out to the hospital. Also, I needed to shave my legs. You ladies know what I’m talking about.

After arriving at the hospital, I spent the next couple of hours on display, with legs spread and different nurses shoving their whole forearms into my birth canal. (Ok, maybe I am being a little dramatic here, but that’s what it felt like at the time!)

I did not dilate one bit over the next 30 or so hours, even after taking pitocin and some kind of cervical cream – although I did watch the entire Rambo trilogy for the first time. Fun stuff!

The nursing staff thought it would be hilarious to threaten me with a c-section if I didn’t hurry things along. I didn’t find that amusing at all, so I found ways to keep the nurses busy. I played fetch with them. This was amusing to me. “Can I please have a birthing ball?” “I need help getting up to go pee.” “Will you bring me another blanket?” and so on.

Finally, my delivery doctor entered the room to check and see what the hold up was. Putting aside the fact that this was the first time since entering the hospital that I had been checked out by an actual doctor, I put on my brave face and let him get to work diagnosing the “problem.” Apparently, my daughter was double-bagged, and the water sac that had burst was the outer water sac. It kept replenishing itself just like a normal sac would. The doctor threw some squiggly instrument inside me, burst the other sac, and about an hour later, I was fully dilated and pushing out my child.

I did not think that I would be the kind of woman that would want a mirror to watch the birth, but when the nurse recommended it as a tool to help me learn how to push more effectively, I was all for it. Of course, unmedicated as I was, I would have done almost anything to get that baby out as fast as possible!

Little Danger was born at 11:29 am, and was a very healthy 7 pounds, almost 1 ounce baby girl. I immediately got to hold her, and she did not leave my side until the next day, when she had to have her newborn hearing test (which she passed).

Have you written about your child’s birth? I would love to read it! I am so interested in labor and delivery, and was going to go to school to be an OB nurse at one point. If you have written, will you please share the link in my comments section so that we can all read these amazing, life-giving, life-altering stories? And if you haven’t written – why not? There’s no better day than on labor day!


About Classic Mommy | Atlanta Mom Blogger

Atlanta Mom Blogger | Enjoys sweet tea and a good challenge | Dislikes dirty fingernails and whining | Mom to Danger | Wife to Dre | Family Travel Blogger
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Labor Day

  1. I so love your story. Yes, I know all about breastfeeding and cloth diapering 😉 in the 80’s. My story a little different than yours, here goes…

    We planned a home birth, I studied to be a midwife (I am the earth mother type with a huge business slant). We took Bradley classes I went to LaLeche for 4 years and did all the cool things like become a cert herbalist, reflexologist (later turned that and more into a business).

    We went into labor as the last three weeks I went into toxemia and my pregnancy weight doubled (AAAGGGGG).

    After having to go to the hospital (with the chosen ob/gyn back up) and my certified nurse midwife we endured 18 1/2 hours of labor with an external fetal monitor as my blood pressure was 170/110. They gave me medicine that left knots in my behind for years to take down the blood pressure and it did nothing.

    Since after 6 hours with no dialation than 3-4 centimeters, they brought on the pit-drip. Thank heaven I was strong that intense labor was rough. Since there was no more progress they said we need to do a c-section . I was not happy and we went back and forth between attys late that night because back then fathers were not allowed in delivery room in c-section.

    Our delivery nurse who was head of delivery said we made it easier for the next person to get their husband in there.

    We had a healthy 9 pound 10oz boy (another funny story behind that) who had an apgar score of 9 at birth and 10 5 minutes later, almost perfect.

    Was I disappointed YES. Did I have to process those emotions YES.

    Will share with you our re-birthing story next time.

    Happy Labor Day to all Mommies.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s